MAppPsych(Clinical) BPsych(Hons) BA(Hons) BLitt MAPS
Perth Clinical Psychologist
Nick is a Clinical Psychology Registrar with experience in a range of complex presentations, including addiction, suicidality and personality disorders.
Nick employs a person-centred, psychodynamic approach, tailoring therapy to each client's unique situation, and, focusing on uncovering the historical or emotional or thinking processes underlying a client's symptoms.
He specialises in working with people who want to find the underlying causes of their issues so they make lasting changes in their lives. The people who find working with him the most rewarding are those who feel they are "stuck" in some pattern of distress. This can align with many disorders, but include those that feel like one or more of the following:
- They have lost a sense of identity/meaning (or are struggling to find one);
- Who have suffered trauma(s) and can't seem to get past it;
- They feel worried or weak and can't pinpoint why,
- The way they think is too rigid (or have a compulsion to do certain things);
- They need to communicate better in their relationship(s);
- They suffer from addiction to a substance (or way of life);
- They realise there have issues interacting with others which makes their life difficult;
- They have strong feelings they can't control (but want to);
- They often think about killing themselves;
- And a long list of other things that revolve around anxiety, trauma, addiction, depression, identity crisis and issues within families.
Nick is driven to be a psychologist from his own desire for self-awareness and a passion for helping others with theirs. To ensure he remains fully resourced and present for all his clients, Nick continues to undertake his own psychoanalysis and engages in regular supervision from an experienced Clinical Psychologist.
Lastly, critical to Nick's approach is a holistic approach to treatment. As well as traditional "talk therapy" he makes sure there is harmony with other health professionals to integrate: nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, work patterns, relationships and avenues of meditation/relaxation into their wellness plans.
Nick genuinely looks forward to meeting new clients and finding the things that will help them lead more fulfilling lives. The issues he is passionate about working with are:
- Self development/individuation
- Relationship difficulties
- Life transition difficulties
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissism (and victims of)
- Personality disorders
- Self-harm or suicidality
- Lack of motivation
- Addiction Attachment issues
- Adjustment disorders
- Childhood trauma
- Grief and Loss
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA) - Registered Psychologist
- Registered Clinical Psychologist
Phone: 0402 054 166
Nick Averbuj works from Shenton Park
Shenton Park Psychology Services
5/316 Onslow Road
Shenton Park, WA 6008